Tree Conservation Trust
A new digital survey of all Helensburgh’s Street Trees begins. This will provide a comprehensive list of all the trees in the town, their condition, location, a photograph of the tree and any other details relevant. It will help with future planning projects, give a traffic light system on where to focus attention and provide and accessible database that can be maintained and updated going forward.
July 2017 we were invited to become a member of The National Tree Collections of Scotland, notably the only urban tree collection.
A professional survey was commissioned and 1,829 street trees were recorded and a management plan was prepared by Donald Roger Associates.
In 2002 three local residents, Sandy Kerr, Sheila Wilson and Bill Yule founded the Trust to promote the maintenance, conservation and sustainable management of the tree scape of Helensburgh for the public’s benefit.
By 2001 many street trees had reached maturity or were passed their prime, leading for a need for remedial action and a renewal programme.
When the town council ceased to exist in 1975, due to the reorganisation of local government, the neglect of the trees appear to date from that point.
A major phase of planting was initiated in 1910, the driving force being a councillor, Dr. J. Ewing Hunter. There followed planned planting of street trees for the next 60 years with records of the work undertaken. Planting by the council continued in post war housing developments.
Early records confirm that as early as 1860, when the population was 4,613, a public meeting in the town called for trees to be planted in the streets of Helensburgh.